Also affectionately known as “hot biscuit” slice.
Let me explain…
When my cousin was little…like…. barely at school little she asked her mum if she could have a “hot biscuit”. Naturally my sister and I were a little perplexed…what on earth was a “hot biscuit”….sounds exciting right? Well, I guess is kind of is, next a packet of Mint Slice Chocolate biscuits were produced….
Ah…the “hot biscuit” – of course! Peppermint as described by a 4 or 5 year old is “hot”, I get that it does create a minty freshness which has a “hot” mouth feeling. As you can see, the name stuck. Ever since that day my sister and I have referred to mint slice biscuits (and other pepper-minty things) as “hot” – cute right?
It’s been a while since I’ve had a traditional Mint Slice biscuit (they were a firm fave for a long while!) so when I had a play around with this recipe I was thrilled when I recreated that classic peppermint-choc flavor. However, this yummy treat is not only tasty…it has nutritional benefits.
As well as containing significantly less sugar, no gluten and no dairy this slice will be soothing and healing for your gut. How bloody great is that!
Peppermint essential oil is known for its digestive soothing abilities. Great for easing any nauseous feelings and soothing a jittery gut and colon lining. Peppermint also has antimicrobial properties which is great if you’re battling some microbiome imbalances.
Gelatin is a hero of this slice, in texture and from a nutritional perspective. It’s an amazing source of bio-available protein – which our bodies love and can absorb quick smart (great for post gym re-fueling).
Having a few digestive troubles? An irritated gut? Gelatin is ultra soothing for our gut and helps to restore the mucous lining which is imperative for good digestion and nutrient absorption. It’s also going to help liver detox (amino acid glycine is the star here) AND can help to ease inflammation (again glycine and proline to the rescue).
If I didn’t have you at Peppermint Slice….let alone Gut Healing Peppermint Slice…I don’t know how to get your attention!
On to the recipe!
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- Pre-heat your oven to 160 degrees C and line a square brownie tin with baking sheet – I used a 24cm pan
- In a bowl combine the ‘base’ ingredients until sticky – you could also give them a quick whizz in a food processor or Thermy
- Press mixture into the pan – keeping it as evenly spread as possible
- Bake for around 10 – 15 mins (keep an eye on it!)
- Once the base is golden, remove it and allow to cool.
THE PEPPERMINT FILLING
- Place coconut cream and sweetener into a saucepan on low heat, mix to allow the sugar to dissolve. You could use your Thermomix here too – go for about 50 degrees and a gentle mix (so I guess speed 2 or 3)
- Bloom the gelatin in the cool water
- Remove the coconut cream from the heat, add the peppermint oil
- Add the gelatin and whisk to combine – make sure your mix is silky smooth
- Pour the mixture over the base and pop into the fridge
- 1/2 cup of dark chocolate (I prefer 85% cacao or higher – but I’m not the boss of you so I’ll let you choose)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- Melt the chocolate on a very low heat (either stove top or in your Thermomix), add in the coconut oil and stir to combine. The mixture should be smooth and glossy
- Pour over the SET (note….it must be set!!!) gelatin layer and pop back into the fridge to firm up.
- You could also make your own chocolate to use as the topping check out my recipe HERE
- Once the chocolate is set you can slice into squares and enjoy! Store this one in an airtight container in the fridge.
Are you a lover of all things chocolate and peppermint (such a divine combo right!)? Perhaps you have a friend who is equally fond of this marriage of deliciousness….you should make their day and share this recipe with them. Maybe they’ll even make this slice for you!
Now go and enjoy a square (or two…cause it’s good for your gut!) and a cup of peppermint tea to wash it down – hello relaxed and soothed gut!