I mean seriously…what more could you possibly want?
A puppy. Yes, you’re right I can’t argue with that.
As the title infers this salad is delicious. You can make it with minimal fuss and washing up. And you shouldn’t have trouble finding the ingredients. Plus you will support your liver with these liver cleansing ingredients.
Why should I be helping my liver to detox? The liver is responsible for ridding the body of many substances, not necessarily always ‘toxins’ as we traditionally think of. For example our liver detoxes hormones that our body naturally makes (think cortisol the stress hormone – you don’t want that hanging out it your blood for too long). In this day and age we are exposed to many synthetic toxins not only from our food but external sources (like pollution, cleaning chemicals and even skin and beauty care products). We therefore place a greater load on our livers, if it can’t keep up we start to see our health being effected (which, really, is a whole article on it’s own…I’ve really just scratched the surface here folks!).
So to help you nudge your liver into gear, start with salad! Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1-2 beetroot, raw and washed – Beets are known for their blood purifying properties and the naturally occurring betaine stimulates the liver to detox fat
- 2 -3 carrots, raw and washed – Carrots are brimming with vitamin C and Beta carotene (pro-vitamin A), both are powerful antioxidants protecting our bodies from free radical damage at a cellular level.
- a handful of parsley – Parsley is full of vital nutrients that stimulate both the liver and the kidneys to flush and detox.
- Fresh Lemon juice or apple cider vinegar – Lemon stimulates bile production and enzymes in the liver to help flush toxins through
- Olive oil
- salt & pepper
Here’s what you do:
- Grate the beets and carrots.
- Rough or finely chop the parsley (depending on how you prefer it)
- Add in your seasonings, generous amounts of olive oil and lemon juice (or ACV)
- Give it all a rough mix
- Hey presto….super dooper salad!
You can (and should) adjust the ingredient quantities depending on how many mouths you are feeding. Or how many meals your wanting to jazz up with it.
These are variations that make the salad even more fabulous. They have been tried and tested by yours truly – my taste buds are temperamental divas.
- Roughly chopped walnuts
- Finely shredded rocket (Sorry Sis….and Ash..!*)
- Finely shredded baby spinach (Sorry Robert…!*)
- A drizzle of tahini
- Toasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- Pop a soft boiled egg on top….instant meal!
This salad is light and fresh and goes perfectly with grilled or barbecued meats, seafood and fish. It also keeps in the fridge for a few days so you can use up any leftovers for quick lunches or a power packed nutrient dense breakfast (I really want you to try it with a soft boiled egg…its delicious and a personal fav).
*These are people in my life who have a surprisingly passionate aversion to these particular green salad leaf substances. It does make me question their sanity. But I still love them. Just slightly less….