This is THE easiest, quickest and most fuss free way to get fabulous carrots any day of the week. Any vegetables actually. I’m not going to discriminate.
As this recipe is so quick and easy-peasy, I’m going to keep this whole post quick and easy-peasy. Because at this time of year we’ve all got more important things to do…like drink cocktails made by our hunky personal barman, or design art and craft gifts for our loved ones (by loved ones I mean my cat. Okay…cats)*.
Right onto the actual recipe…
You will need…
- Carrots (or any vegetables you fancy roasting)
- A lemon or two
- A baking tray lined with baking paper (this will save on washing up – washing up is the pits)
- Sumac (ground)
- Sea salt
- olive oil
What to do…
- Pre-heat your oven to medium to hot. Lets say around 180 – 200 degrees C
- Slice your carrots into fancy shapes. Similar to the picture above. Okay, so it’s just ovals…whatever.
- Slice wedges of lemon
- Place carrots on your tray, top them with a good grinding of salt and pepper and a very generous sprinkling of sumac.
- Squeeze the lemon over the carrots, and then add them to the tray.
- Finally a good, healthy drizzle of olive oil over your carrots. Then give them a bit of a toss with your hands.
- Place them into the oven for around 30 -40 minutes (longer if you like crispy bits). Keep an eye on them and take them out when they’re golden. Or if you’re like me…plenty of colour, some may suggest “burnt bits’. No, it is all flavor baby.
That’s it! I know…embarrassingly simple. Yet, highly satisfying. Veggies done this way are great both hot or cold. Perfect as a side for any meat or fish, an amazing addition to a pasta and equally lovely tossed through a salad the next day.
Just in case you’re still contemplating whether or not to try this delectable carrot roast…sumac has some fabulous health benefits. Such as antioxidant properties and also magical powers to help to stabilize (and lower) blood sugar levels AND cholesterol levels. Time to put sumac on everything!
*I’m Kidding. My cat really isn’t into home made gifts.
Hey! Earn mega universe brownie points so you can win the lotto and retire tomorrow….hit share and spread the SpunkyGuts message on Facebook!