Alex from Real, Raw & Radiant.
Allow me to introduce Alex. Alex is one fiery and determined chick who by day teaches a classroom full of 10 and 11 year old students. She then puts on her wellness hat and is the passion behind Real, Raw & Radiant. Alex lives in country South Australia, 10km from the town she grew up in.
In following her passion for all things health Alex has recently started studying with the Institute of Integrated Nutrition. This has lead her to start her blog – Real, Raw & Radiant. On the blog she shares information and her experiences in seeking that spunky feeling.
Lets look at THREE…
…things that make you jump out of bed every morning?
- In spring and summer it is definitely the beautiful mornings we have in this part of the world. I get up fairly early and go sit out on our back patio; it’s quiet and the air is so cool and fresh. I wish I could bottle it!
- Breakfast is also a pretty big winner for me too! I love breakfast. In fact I would say that it is my favorite meal of the day. I vary what I eat for breakfast. Sometimes I might have a banana and oat smoothie, a green smoothie, eggs, quinoa, porridge but I always try to have a glass of apple cider vinegar. I find it helps me switch on and clears out all my ‘sleep gunk’.
- My two legged and four legged housemates. Mr RRR (real raw & radiant) is a pretty alright guy and we have two crazy kelpies and a very neglected cat. They provide me with unconditional love and entertainment. Don’t get me wrong, sometimes they drive me utterly bananas but I wouldn’t trade them for the world!
Things that make you feel at your spunkiest?
- Fresh fruit and veggies. There is something about them that instantly make me feel lighter, clearer and just better. Cucumbers and avocados are staple veggies in summer for me. It’s amazing what you can whip up with some avo!
- How I feel after I’ve exercised! The whole ‘being out of breath and in pain’ during exercise not so much, but the flow of blood around my body afterwards is worth it. Plus I keep that picture of a body in a bikini at the forefront of my mind!!
- The beach. I love taking time to go over to our shack (beach-house). I take a walk on the beach and sit up on the deck and just watch the ocean. There is something magic about the ocean.
Things that have instigated healthy changes to your lifestyle? What were those changes?
- My pants being too tight! Need I say more?
- My mental state of mind. I was in constant war with my mind. I knew exactly what I should be doing, what I should be eating, what I should be thinking but then I’d do the exact opposite. I had the knowledge I just needed to grow up and do something about it.
- I want to look good when I’m older!! Again, need I say more?!
Health/fitness/wellness tips and tricks that you use? (AND recommend)
- Even though I have been a bit slack lately, when I was doing it regularly, meditation really did make me feel a lot more settled, focused and at ease with my life. I downloaded Melissa Ambrosini’s meditations and love them! I even meditated during a final of my netball this year and it worked for sure!
- Just move. I know most of us come home and feel tired or whatever from a hard day at work. I spend 40 minutes in the car on the way home telling myself I’m too tired to do anything but I’ve found If I just get changed and do something, I have more energy for the rest of the night and don’t beat myself up saying “I should have exercised tonight.”
- Apple cider vinegar in the morning and eating breakfast. How you start your morning can often set the tone for the rest of the day. If you’re rushing around and skip breakfast, meaning you go to work on an empty stomach, you’re not giving your body the opportunity to work at it’s best for you.
Foods you love to eat everyday?
- Cucumber. It’s so fresh and light, not to mention tasty.
- Avocado. Good old nature’s butter. I have it on toast, on its own with some lemon and pepper, in salads, even as mousse. Love it!
- Banana. I like to think of these as nature’s chocolate bars.
Signature healthy dishes/snacks/food combinations?
- Quinoa salad – avocado, cumin (cannot live without this in my cupboard!), red onion, feta, white wine vinegar and some pepper. Bob’s your uncle!
- Chocolate bliss balls. I’m sure everyone has his or her own recipe for these. I use dates, walnuts, cashews or almonds, goji berries, coconut oil, cacao powder, chia seeds and shredded coconut.
- I do make a nice salmon roll but it’s not overly healthy! Choose your own type of flat bread, mix some dill and cream cheese together (see – not too healthy!), layer it with smoked salmon, roll up in some cling film and but in the fridge for a while. Cut up and enjoy!
Things from your bucket list you would like to share?
- Tropical island, swim up bar.
- Travel back to Europe and spend some more time in Ireland. I adore that place!
- Get my truck license! Drive for my dad for a harvest.
Achievements or successes of the past 6 months?
- Starting to study at Institute of Integrated Nutrition.
- My blog and having some actual followers!!
- Eating better.
Thanks for sharing Alex 😀